- Moving Malta
- About Us
- Property Management & Holiday Rentals
Gżira is an urban locality between Sliema and Msida on the western side of Marsamxett Harbour. It has a seafront promenade with views over Manoel Island and Valletta. The only landward access to Manoel Island is the bridge from the Gżira strand. This small island lies in Marsamxett Harbour between Sliema Creek and Lazzaretto Creek. The Knights of St John realised the potential of the Island as an isolation enclave against the plague and other infectious diseases and built a quarantine hospital here in 1643. In 1722, Grand Master Manoel de Vilhena began to appreciate the value of the Island for the defence of Valletta and commissioned the fortress which bears his name, Fort Manoel. Completed in 1726 in baroque style, it is a remarkable military edifice. The fort was badly damaged in World War II, but has been restored as part of the development of the Manoel Island and nearby Tigne' as a residential and commercial area. The Island has boat repair yards and winter berthing facilities. Gżira shops include numerous yacht brokers and chandlers which serve the nearby Ta' Xbiex and Msida Marinas.