- Moving Malta
- About Us
- Property Management & Holiday Rentals
Iklin is situated on a hill on the way to Naxxar. On the south it borders with Birkirkara and Lija while on the east it borders San Ġwann. During the sixties and seventies a number of luxurious villas were built on the hill which leads to In-Naxxar (on the side of Triq il-Wied in the area known as Upper Iklin). Towards the end of the seventies as well as during the eighties buildings started to crop up everywhere. On the lower side of the valley, which was a green area, a bypass was built which begins near the university and ends at Iklin. The name of this locality comes from the aromatic herb rosmarinus, Iklin in Maltese. It is thought that this grew in the valley. In Iklin two archaeological sites have been found, one from the Bronze Age and the other with Punic and Roman remains. The village is known for the chapel of San Mikiel Arkanġlu (St Michael) built in 1615. The coat of arms depicts a shield on a blue background with Saint Michael in the centre and six roses on the borders.