- Moving Malta
- About Us
- Property Management & Holiday Rentals
Qormi is the second largest town on the Islands. It includes residential and light industrial areas, but the town's core is still characterised by alleys and narrow streets. Because of its low-lying position near Grand Harbour, Ħal Qormi played a distinct role throughout Malta's history. At one time, parts of Valletta, Marsa and Ħamrun depended on it as an administrative and parish centre. Qormi traditionally provided a workforce of stevedores for the harbour. The town became the first place where imported goods were stored. Wheat was one of the staple imports. Over the years, windmills sprung up in the town and it soon developed a thriving bread-making industry. Qormi has been known as the centre of bread-making since the time of the Knights of St John. They named it `Casal Fornaro', the bakers' village, and it still is today. Modern-day Qormi carries on the tradition as the centre of the Islands' baking industry. The town today is divided into two parishes - St George's and St Sebastian's. St George's Parish Church, completed in 1684, is an imposing structure. Apart from the feast for the patron saint on the last Sunday in June, an unusual event in the parish is the Good Friday procession - a traditional affair in which participants wear Biblical costumes. The Church of St Sebastian, completed in the 1980s, is a neo-Romanesque style edifice and carries a distinctive huge, white dome. The festa of St Sebastian is celebrated every third Sunday of July also on Easter Sunday a procession held with the tradition of running with the statue of Risen Christ in various roads in the parish.